Book Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor

Monday, August 24, 2015 2 Comments A+ a-

I've been wanting to read this series ever since I first saw it on goodreads, I already has an ebook and was ready to just dive into it but I stumbled upon some booktubers who said that this book is so amazing so I restrained myself from reading it on my phone because I wanted my own copy of it. After a few months I decided to read it because I can't seem to save enough money for this book and whenever I have money I forget about it. Why am I telling you this? Read on and you'll know.

Again to avoid spoilers for the other two books I will just paste the blur of the first book:

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actuallygrows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

I hate to say this but I didn't enjoy the book as much as I want to and expected to, especially that I heard and read a lot of great things about this book. I think there are 2 main reasons why I didn't like it. Number 1 is that i read it on my phone. I do not know about you guys if you experience this, I am the type of reader who gets into the story more when I read it on page and not on screen because I feel like the screen is hindering my brain from imagining the story, this is why I told you about how I wanted to buy this book earlier. Number 2 is that a lot of this book is new to me I always have to stop and reread a few paragraphs because I do not know some newly-created words Laini Taylor used making it hard to complete a scene to imagine and it was also hard to imagine the chimaeras because there some instances where you get thrown with tons of details and your mind is just can't process a lot of information.

I'm giving it 3 of 5 stars because the story was original and I can feel that I will enjoy this story if I reread it again in the future, but with a physical book, and also I love how Laini Taylor used cliche things in a not annoying way, like forbidden love (no cheesy lines that made me cringe) and wars that lasted for ages (the reason is acceptable, what I mean is they all have the reasons to fight and not just stab at anyone). I will reread this again I promise and next time with a book that looks so gorgeous! LOVE THE COVER!

Goodreads rating: 4.06
Genre: Fantasy, Young-adult, Romance, Paranormal, Supernatural
My rating: 3/5 stars
Overall rating: 3/5 stars
 

2 comments

Write comments
August 24, 2015 at 6:10 AM delete

I bought the physical copy of Daughter and Smoke and Bone a while ago, but I still haven't read it. The covers are absolutely beautiful, so I'm really looking forward to reading it. I often find I get confused if there's a lot of new world building, and lots of new words, so I'll make sure to be paying attention. Great review!

~Denise @ The Bibliolater

Reply
avatar
joenalla
AUTHOR
August 26, 2015 at 2:45 AM delete

I'm glad you have a copy I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than I do, and I really hope you would! Thank you for the compliment tried my best to express my feelings about this trilogy. Make a book review too! :)

Reply
avatar